Top 8 Hidden Dirtiest Places and Items Lurking Around in Your Home
Most of you regularly clean your whole house: scrubbing your toilets and showers, dusting shelves, sanitizing countertops and vacuuming your carpets. But what you don’t realize is that your home is still not clean. In reality, you’re still harboring allergens, germs, dust mites, and other toxins!
These pollutants are present in the hidden areas of your home and lurking deep within your furniture and carpets where your routine cleaning can’t reach them. But with our help, we can eliminate all the grime and clean tough to reach places. Let’s take a step back and recognize the dirtiest places and items in your home that you may not know are breeding icky bacteria.
8. The kitchen
This area alone has the most bacteria and fecal contamination than other places at home. Ironically, a huge percentage of rags and dish sponges harbor bacteria despite being used with a cleanser all the time. In a study conducted by NSF International, other kitchen items that need to be cleaned often are:
- Cutting boards – 18% of cutting boards are home to potentially dangerous coliform bacteria and 14% with yeasts and molds
- Coffee maker – this dark and damp appliance is a favorite breeding ground of microorganisms. 9% of the swabbed reservoirs had coliform bacteria while a whopping 50% had yeast and mold
- Refrigerator – this is where raw food and sometimes, unwashed food goes in. You can imagine the germs fresh from when you bought them
- Kitchen sink – Again, a place where you clean your plates with sponges, wash your hands with soap or hand wash. Kitchen sinks are tested positive for molds and coliform bacteria
- Countertops and faucet handles – these places harbor molds and coliform bacteria where your often, unwashed hand, needs to turn the sink on before getting cleaned
7. Knobs, switches and handles
These places are among the less obvious ones for harboring germs. The bathroom doorknob is the usual dirtiest that many can think of, however higher concentration of bacteria is found in other spots, including:
- Bathroom light switches
- Microwave handles
- Stove knobs
- Refrigerator handles
6. Makeup bag
Unfortunately, the brushes and applicators you use are a joy to germs, particularly if you carry your makeup bag with you everywhere you go. These germs can live on your makeup and may often cause eye and skin infections. Makeups expire! Be sure to take note of the expiration of your makeup products stated in the container. Most last for six to twelve months and no more.
Generally, this is where we go when we’re unclean and try to scrub all dirt off. The bathroom is a prime place for germs because of the moisture when you take a hot bath. The spots that harbor them include:
- Bath towels
- Toothbrush and toothbrush holders
- Shower tub
- Floor area surrounding the toilet
When you leave wet laundry in the machine, even for just a few minutes, it can increase the number of germs. What you can do is transfer your clean clothes to the dryer right after washing them. If you get busy and have no choice but to leave your wet laundry in the washer for at least half an hour, you may run a second cycle.
3. Living room and home office
Shared equipment such phones, tablets, computer keyboards and remote controls harbor mold and yeast. It can also include the video game controller that your kids share. In your living room, your carpet may also be the one with the most dust and dirt when it is not cleaned regularly.
Pets who can roam freely outside also bring home bacteria and germs. Pet bowls are among the spots with the most germs in your home. Pet toys also may carry mold, yeast, and staph.
1. Personal Items
If you leave the house daily, even the smallest item you have can bring in germs. Most items with mold and yeast present include:
- Wallet and money
- Mobile phones
- Bottom of purses
- Lunch boxes
The quickest remedy for these are disinfecting wipes. However, the longer contaminants are hiding in your home, the higher the risk of bacterial infections, mold contamination, allergy attacks, and other serious health risks. SayClean’s deep cleaning services for your home is the best method for getting rid of hidden germs and other pollutants. With our help, your house will be a healthy home once again. You may contact us at SayClean and have your entire home deep cleaned right away! A true deep cleaning is a must to ensure the healthiest possible environment you deserve.